Monday, May 28, 2007

Microsoft's monopoly and Windows Vista


With another newer version of windows coming up, its just another way of Microsoft telling the world "We are going low on sales,so we have launched a new product".These newer versions of OS's are a threat to the third world countries.I will justify this statement on the basis of a simple argument.Newer versions means better features,better GUI,which means nothing but more load on the hardware thereby slowing down your PC's performance.For example, I own a Pentium III processor with 64 MB ram, 20 GB hard drive,windows 98 and I bought this in 1999.For 2 years it worked fantastically well,then gradually the performance declined and now its almost dead.If you are a tech. freak then you will say that I work on an outdated PC and must change it immediately.But why?I just use the computer to access the internet to check mail and stuff that a computer of this level can easily provide.It ain't dead because of outdated software,but its dead because of unavailability of updated outdated software.This might be a little complicated to understand.I visit microsoft's website now and then but it says it wont provide me with updated version of windows 98(coz its outdated),I dont get the latest drivers either because of the same reason.This vicious circle goes a little more circular.I can't update to a newer version of OS coz i don't have enough RAM.The new OS asks for pentium 4 which costs a lot.Its not only the problem of the OS.I wanted some simple MP3 playback software;even winamp wanted my computer to have a windows XP.So you see I was in a mess.Now even though I dont need a pentium 4,i dont need better graphics,dont need performance,I am forced to buy all the latest hardware and then software.
My case is just one in a billion in this country.In offices,where a computer is required just for managing accounts and even a MS-Dos will do;are trapped in this vicious circle.Techies will obviously be against me and will say that technology is improving,so should you.I am not against Microsoft on releasing the latest software.I just want them to keep the updates for outdated softwares also.This way you can reach the masses and technology can really help the needy.Another way of terrorizing people is the enormous price of the software.The price of just one OS is Rs.5000 which is just not affordable.And then they say that we use pirated software.In short what I am trying to convey here is that with technological advancement and globalization, the poorer sections or even the middle class is affected to a great extent.The solution to this problem is bringing the 'Free Software' concept to every software(even to drivers) so that each person can have a computer that suits his needs and thus the real motive of technology i.e. to serve the people is fulfilled.

No comments: